4.18.2018

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّحِيْمِ


Reflections on Al-Wadud, one of Allah's names

While listening to Br. Nouman's lecture on Surah Al-Buruj, the explanation of one particular word really got to me. In ayah 14, Allah describes Himself as 'Al-Wadud', the intensely loving/affectionate. The root of this name comes from the word "wudh", meaning to hold onto something and not let go of it, softly and gently keeping it held, a love that doesn't come to an end but it lasts and lasts, it never rusts, doesn't die out, holds with a great strength.

This concept is exactly how I have thought of love, the idea is so perfectly matched to my own conception, it's stunning. While I've heard the name before, studying its root opens this connection between one of Allah's most beautiful names and a deeply defining characteristic of my own nature. Like, that is what I long for, that is me! SubhanaAllah. Just another reminder I am from Him, His creation, but such a personal reminder it is. The resonance could not have been more perfect. May my Rabb make this a source of strength and mercy for all the rougher times in life, ameen. 

No comments: