5.15.2020

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّحِيْمِ


Finished watching season 1 of "This is Us" and started season 2. I found it remarkable how Jack becomes the one who ends up paying for Rebecca leaving the fam to go on tour with her ex. Seriously tho?! lol producers seem to love casting her in the villain's role, and her kids kinda taking the same pov (except maybe Randall who actually heard their argument and seems to be siding with mom).

I can't say I have the experience of dealing with married life for any considerable amount of time (year or so for me), but damn, that is crazy insight into the kinds of arguments couples can have. Obviously for Muslims it's probably different on the surface, but I imagine the wife feeling underappreciated or ignored in regards to decision making is a common/major beef for wives across the spectrum.

My perspective also gets shaded by how my own parents raised us. They willingly sacrificed their own personal talents/ambitions to ensure their kids had everything they needed from birth till high school till college till married till settled. See the breadth of their efforts? It is amazing mA. I can't really imagine parents of the Western world so easily being selfless without regrets of what they gave up. I could say for certain my parents wholeheartedly accepted what they had to give up because I'd seen them with their grandchildren...assured that their jobs/roles as parents had truly succeeded in seeing their children continue the human tradition of raising new generations of people. It's really far more an Eastern world concept to value community and family over the self and personalized goals. Sometimes this sacrifice is easily worth it, and good family alhamdulillah proves this so clearly. Other times, the sacrifice seems worthless if family members or situations are shit or unresolved or ignored.

So, I can't really take a side in saying which is better, but for sure alhamdulillah I can say the core notion of giving up certain kinds of ambitions for family's sake is something I was blessed to inherit as part of my own ethos, taught by parents who exemplified it perfectly. In fairness to Rebecca, the show recounts her as always having had that kind of personal pursuit and not wanting to be tied down by family or kids. She didn't really change from who she was before marriage, and Jack knew this, so not quite a clearcut bad guy. Now if only she hadn't asked/forced him to leave the house...

[edit: turns out she goes and brings him back later too, so that's def a plus]

No comments: